Conservation Area Advice

For advice on trees in a Conservation Area:

Ms Susan Stashkiw, Tree Officer, Carlisle City Council

01228 817535

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For advice on building/planning in a Conservation Area:

Planning department

01228 817000

  • slide1.jpg
  • slide2.jpg
  • slide3.jpg
  • slide4.jpg
  • slide5.jpg
  • slide6.jpg
  • slide7.jpg
  • slide8.jpg
  • slide9.jpg

A Conservation Area is described in law as "an area of special architectural or historic interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance".

Parts of Brampton are in a Conservation Area: the area designated as of 28th April 2003 can be downloaded by clicking on the map below:

conservation map

Being in a Conservation Area has implications for Building Regulations, Planning Permission, works to trees and other matters.

Trees growing in Conservation Areas have protection from pruning or felling by virtue of their location within the Conservation Area. Before any works to trees in the Brampton Conservation Area can be carried out Carlisle City Council must be notified of the intention to work on the tree(s). This is called a Section 211 notice, or S211 notice. This give the City Council six weeks to consider the proposed works, and if considered inappropriate place a Tree Preservation Order on the tree(s).

Notification should be made in writing and include an accurate description of the proposed works, the location of the tree(s) and a sketch plan showing the tree(s) and surrounding buildings, road etc so that the tree(s) in question can be easily identified.

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.